Monday, December 4, 2006

Sign of the Week: Watch where you sit!

This week we'll begin posting items of the week. The first is the Sign of the Week. The only qualifications are that the sign be different from what we were used to in the U.S., and entertaining in some way.

In that spirit, here is a sign from the town square of Azabu Juban, just down the street from us. A translation? It seems to say something about the "time of the berries." OK, I don't really know, but you'll probably get the gist of it easily enough.



We'll post the Sign of the Week each Monday. Join us tomorrow for the Vehicle of the Week.

1 comment:

George J. Downing said...

Tom,

Are you suggesting the interpretation is as I think, i.e., "It's the time of the berries, when birds eat them and leave purple droppings on unsuspecting people in the park, so be careful"? I guess that's in harmony with the Japanese penchant for practical civic notices. Good for them, I say.

In the short time I spent in Japan I loved the cities, the countryside, and the customs. I found the people very friendly and helpful and enjoyed interacting with them. Of course, that was a long time ago, when Mr. Honda was still making auxiliary motors for bicycles, and there were 360 yen to the dollar.

Keep on blogging!

Love, Dad