Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Edifice of the Week: Azabu Tower

For the first installment of Edifice of the Week, I've chosen a building just a couple of blocks from our residence. It's called Azabu Tower.


Since much of the city was destroyed in WW II (the neighborhood we live in now was totally demolished) few buildings are over fifty years old. Some (like Azabu Tower) seem to have been built with a sense of whimsy. I was going to say it is incongruous with the rest of the neighborhood, but I haven't really noticed a prevailing style among these newer buildings. Maybe doing things differently is the aesthetic. Regardless, it obviously takes great engineering to build something like this.

1 comment:

George J. Downing said...

Tom,

This is an interesting building. I like it, but get a strange feeling in my innards when I think about living in it. It beats the Great Pickle in London.

I hear there's a beautiful plain white building in Tokyo with the cryptic signage, "TC." Any chance of a photo?

Love, Dad