Friday, January 19, 2007

Sign of the Week: Flat White Coffee

Some Tokyo signs that feature English are noteworthy for their seeming random selection of words. Others stand out as inadvertently humorous, thanks to a tortured translation. But some are real puzzles. They seem as though someone put a lot of thought into them, but they don't make logical sense--at least not to me.


Now, none of us are coffee drinkers, so maybe it's not fair for me to feature this advertisement as Sign of the Week. But from what I understand, java afficionados in search of the perfect cup are looking for neither whiteness nor flatness. So for me, this ad fits perfectly into the category of enigmatic signs I encounter in Tokyo--on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Tom,

This latest entry really had me thinking. I have also seen these types of random english words on Japanese items, but usually not on advertisements. So I decided to look up the phrase on google. Indeed there were many entries for "flat white coffee". Who knew?? here is one of the many I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white

Keep up the great blog!!!

Doug Trace

TD said...

Thank you, Doug, for solving the enigma of this sign for me! I followed your suggestion and found "Flat White" is an expresso variant popular in Australia and New Zealand. This makes sense, because there is a noticeable influence from those countries here. I am so American-centric! My horizons have been expanded.