Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Akai Shingo, Midori-iro Shingo

What are these girls up to? Oldsters, cast your mind back.


I came across this group in Shinjuku Kyoen, while I was there taking pictures of the cherry blossoms. Have you figured it out yet?

Some things transcend culture; one of the most delightful of these is the inherent playfulness of the young. These girls are playing a game we used to call "red light, green light." Is it odd that a scene played out by strangers in a foreign land should make me nostalgiac for my childhood?

1 comment:

cindy said...

I was just looking at the blog again for old time's sake. Thought I'd add what i have learned about this game...
It is "Daruma is falling down" or words to that effect. The person in front holds "Daruma" and people run up before they let it drop...
I miss Japan so much...
I am so glad this is here
cindyd